How to Rename Files and Folders on Mac OS? Best 4 Ways
Mark Briggs | June 3rd, 2022 | Mac OS X
Rename Files and Folders on Mac: It’s possible that the first time you make a new folder, you won’t choose the appropriate name for it.
There may be situations when the titles of projects will be changed, as will the terminology used to refer to clients and projects.
On the bright side, renaming files and folders on Mac OS requires just a few mouse clicks to do.
In this write-up, we are going to show you a complete and step-by-step guide for renaming files and folders on Mac.
Methods for Renaming Files and Folders MacOS
Here we will show you 4 methods to change and rename files and folders on Mac OS. All the methods and steps are given below:
1 Method: Hit on the Name
- Select the required file or folder, that you want to change.
- Now hit on the name of the files and folder, as you can see below.
- After that, type the new name of the file for renaming files and folders on Mac.
- Lastly, click on the screen (anywhere) and the name will save.
2 Method: Using Return Key
- Once again choose the file or folder on Mac Machine.
- hit the “RETURN Key” to select the folder name.
- and then, enter the new name of the file or folder on Mac.
3 Method: Using Rename Option
- select the folder by clicking on it once.
- Now click right on the file or folder to rename files and folders on Mac.
- And then select the “Rename” option from the list.
- Now put the new name of the file and click on the screen.
4 Method: Rename Files and Folders On Mac Terminal
- Go to Mac terminal from Mac OS to rename a folder in Mac terminal.
- Now open the location, where your file contains which, you want to rename.
- After that, utilize the MV command to rename a file in the Mac terminal.
- Now enter the command like this:
mv CurrentName NewName
Example: mv test2.txt newname.txt
As you see, here we mentioned 4 methods to rename files and folders on Mac OS. You can use these techniques on all Mac OS like rename folders on MacBook Pro, OS X, and other Mac Machines.
Users can select the method above as per their requirements. Now we will show you FAQs, which most users asked while they facing errors and issues during the renaming files and folders on the Mac process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques:- I am facing an error, while I am renaming the files on MacBook Pro, so I am unable to rename files and folders on Mac?
Ans:- This situation occurs many times when you are using dots in the name for renaming files and folders on Mac Machines. To avoid this type of error, you should use only alphabetic characters to rename a folder on Mac.
Ques:- How do I rename multiple files and folders on my Mac system?
Ans:- Yes, macOS allows numerous file and folder renaming. Then utilize the context menu. A popup box will open, allowing you to pick a naming format for the files or folders.
Also, you can rename a folder in the Mac terminal by utilizing the mv command in conjunction with the appropriate wildcard characters. This approach is more complicated but doable.
Ques:- Can I rename files and folders on Mac OS multiple times?
Ans:- Yes, there are no limitations, users can easily rename a folder on Mac multiple times.
Time to Say Goodbye
rename files and folders on Mac may be accomplished in a variety of different ways. Using Finder on your desktop is the easiest option, although those who are familiar with Mac Terminal may prefer the command-line method more convenient to rename folders in Mac terminal.
In any case, you may choose between a number of different paths. I really hope that one of those solutions works for you.
As always, feel free to get in touch with me if you have any inquiries or feedback. I really hope that we can keep in touch.